The official Ice Cream Sandwich ROM release from Sony promoted arrival of various upgrades for the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S LT18i. If you can recall, we had also talked about various hacks for this device. Such is the popularity of this phone that every other day we come across a new custom ROM or upgrade.
XDA Developers member Supervenom has compiled an AOKP-based Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM for the Xperia Arc S. If you are not aware of AOKP ROMs, let us tell you that these ROMs offer enhanced performance, and wide customization options. The credit goes to the inbuilt ROM Control Mod. As this ROM is undergoing development, encounter with a few bugs should not worry you much. Bluetooth connectivity and video recording are known issues with this ROM.
The instructions in write-up are ONLY for the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S, model number LT18i. If you use these instructions on another device or model, you may not get the same results, and may even produce dangerous results for the phone. In case, your device model does not match with the one given here, please do not attempt to flash this as this may result in bricking. We are not responsible for any damages that may occur due to the instructions given here.
Here are the Requirements
- You should have Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc LT18i
- Your Xperia Arc be rooted, and must have ClockworkMod Recovery
- You should have a Windows PC
- Install USB Drivers for your Ericsson Xperia Arc S, model number LT18i on your computer
- Your phone should have minimum 70% charge. Better, if the phone is fully charged to power the entire flashing procedure.
- Data Backup: This is very important as during processes such as rooting, unlocking bootloader and installing custom recovery, your data may be lost or corrupted. Take a back up of important data from your Xperia Arc S’s memory to the SD card.
Step-by-Step Guide to flash the AOKP ROM:
· Download Arc AOKP custom ROM, GApps (Google Apps) package for ICS, DooMKernel for Xperia Arc, ADB and Fastboot package; save the files in a folder on your computer
· Copy the ROM and GApps packages to the root of your Xperia Arc’s SD card.
· Using WinRAR, or some other file extraction software extract the contents of the ADB and Fastboot.zip file in a folder on your computer. Put Copy ARC-DooMKernel-ICS-BETA-v04-high-boot.img in this folder too
· Switch off your Xperia Arc
· Reboot your Xperia Arc in Fastboot Mode by pressing down the Volume Up button while connecting the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
· Launch a command prompt on your computer inside the folder where you extracted the ADB and Fastboot package
· Here is the command to be entered at the command prompt (Press Enter after each command)
fastboot flash boot ARC-DooMKernel-ICS-BETA-v04-high-boot.img
· After kernel has been flashed, you will see a “Finished” message inside the command prompt window.
· Disconnect your phone from your computer.
· Switch off your Xperia Arc
· You will see the kernel logo. When you see the blue LED lights, press the Back button several times to boot your phone into Recovery Mode.
· Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
· Select Wipe Cache.
· Select Install Zip From SD Card.
· Select Choose ZIP from SD Card
· Locate the ROM zip file. Confirming this would start flashing the files on your phone
· Likewise, flash the GApps package.
· Select GO BACK to return to the main recovery menu.
· Select Reboot System Now.
You are done! Your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc LT18i now has the AOKP custom ROM based on AOKP Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.