Motorola Droid Razr users have complained that they cannot easily Unlock the bootloader. However, times have changed. Today, you can bypass the bootloader of your Motorola Droid Razr, and install complete custom ROMs. Read ahead to find out.
The Motorola Droid Razr is a beast in the android market. With a sturdy chassis and powerful features, this phone is also known for its complicated nature, at least for the developers who have been trying to unlock its locked bootloader. Due to this very nature of the device, many users criticize the Droid Razr. When this phone came in the market, developers were excited like the users. However, soon their excitement died as they learned that this phone had a locked bootloader. Full custom ROMS and custom kernels for the Motorola Droid Razr have been scarce too.
Thanks to EternityProject Development Forums developers, kholk and [mbm], there is now a way to bypass the bootloader of the Motorola Droid Razr. Known as the kexec project, the package helps realize the customization we had always yearned for the Motorola Droid Razr. In its beta, the package does offer some bugs and issues. For example, it renders only one processor alive after bypass. Also, some CDMA Razrs do not run post bypass.
Requirements to unlock the boot loader of your Droid Razr:
· You should have Motorola Droid Razr XT912 or Motorola Razr XT910 with Bootstrap Recovery
· Your phone should have minimum 50% charge. Better, if the phone is fully charged to power the entire flashing procedure.
· Data Backup: This is extremely important. Take a back up of important data such as contacts, call logs, files and internet settings from your phone’s memory to the SD card.
· Your phone should have the Android Terminal Emulator app
· Download the kexec package to your computer.
It is important that you check your device number- Settings > About Phone. This is because the methods below for rooting and installing custom recovery is valid only for Motorola Droid Razr XT912 or the Motorola Razr XT910. In case, your device model does not match with the one given here, please do not attempt to flash this as this may result in bricking. We are not responsible for any damages that may occur due to the instructions given here.
Handsets with the following software versions have been tested for the given method:
Instructions to unlock the boot loader of your Droid Razr:
· Copy the kexec package to your Motorola Droid Razr’s internal storage/microSD card.
· Boot your phone into Bootstrap Recovery
· Double click to launch the Razr Bootstrapper app on your phone.
· Tap the Bootstrap Recovery button.
· Tap the Reboot Recovery button.
· Locate the kexec package from internal storage or microSD card in Bootstrap Recovery. Install this package
· Reboot Motorola Droid Razr.
· Launch Android Terminal Emulator app
· Booting with kexec can be done by opening a terminal emulator or ADB and entering the following commands:
· It may take around 10 seconds for the phone to switch to the new kernel. During this process, your phone may appear to hang or vibrate. This is normal. So no need to worry.
· .In case this takes forever, try executing the bypass script again. Power off your phone by holding down both the Volume Down and Power buttons for about 10 seconds. Thereafter, boot kexec as done earlier.
Well done! You have successfully bypassed your phone’s bootloader.